Friday, June 18, 2010

City - People

What is it that draws us to certain cities, certain places? I have a friend who used to be madly in love with Los Angeles. She was in a long distance relationship and the thought of leaving her beloved L.A. was beyond anything she could imagine. For a couple of years she vacillated back and forth, the man, the city, the man, the city.

The man won out. One day she proceeds to tell me about what she loves so much about LA. Tears poured down her face as she went on about hiking in Griffith park, her favorite breakfast place with the Jalapeno bagels, her Bikram yoga studio, where the temperature is always perfectly set at 105.

She is the unofficial mayor of LA for she will not let anyone bad mouth her city. The boyfriend or her ex now is another matter. I guess when it comes down to it the city never did disappoint her. It always gave, gave, and gave. The ex, well, that is another matter. Did she choose wrong? Maybe, but now she is beginning to fall in love with a new city. Her heart is opening up. And no it is not the ex's city. That is his city.

I recently just returned from MY city. The city that never disappoints me. That always gives to me. That loves me. My city is New York. I love New York and when Alicia Keyes sings about it I go mad. That song pierces through my body making me want to beam up and be immediately transported. 

I spent 5 fabulous days in New York and was not disappointed for one single moment. I love walking down the street, rushing to make the subway, standing in line for my morning coffee. And shoes. The most gorgeous shoes pound the New York pavement. I really need to commit to not buy shoes anywhere but NY.

I love how conversations are so easily started. New Yorkers are by far the friendliest people and the most approachable. I don't know who ever labeled them as being rude for I have lived there on and off and I have visited there on and off and I have never had that experience.

For example, I was at at a party all by myself and a group of women said hey "come join us, you look lost." Two other women offered me shelter under the rain for I got caught without an umbrella in a downpour. I even got a nice hug from a celebrity after a conversation, with the words "God bless you." So don't be talking bad about my New York.
 
So now... I am back.. Back in my current city, the city where I live. The city I call home, That city is Spokane. And what does Spokane and New York have in common? Nice nice people. The people in Spokane are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Spokane and New York are very different but each offer very special things and since I am living in Spokane I choose to see all that she has to offer. NY is my first love and of course will always be near and dear to me but Spokane is who I am now committed to.

Every place has something to love. Sometimes it just takes a little more searching. Cities are like people, not always so easy to love but it is the commitment  to love them even when they are difficult that makes us better people.

2 comments:

  1. For me my "home town city" is Rome. Everything about that city seems to recharge my soul. I love knowing that each stone in that city has history. The city has experienced so much, and the Romans are very proud of their city. They honor it, and take care of it. They give back to it and it gives back to them. One day I'll run away to Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me Spokane has always been home, born and raised, my husband and I have tried to move away twice, but life has happened and Spokane has claimed us, and honestly I'm greatful for that. It's a biggish city with a small city complex, it's a good place to raise our family, it's a place with some of the most breathtaking beauty.

    Spokane will always be my home, HOWEVER, that said, when I was 19 I went to England to explore my Mom's home, meet her family, learn more about her amazing past, before having a family, leaving her country to be with the love of her life. And when I was there, I felt the most amazing feeling of BELONGING that I have EVER felt. Seeing the home she lived in, meeting people who loved her and who saw her through me, walking the roads that she had once walked, smelling the amazing air, working in a Pub, the ONLY reason I didn't wind up moving there was the love of MY life was here, waiting for me in Spokane, waiting to start OUR life together. Someday though, someday, maybe I could be happy living in the countryside in England.
    ~Kirsten

    ReplyDelete